dial in(redirected from dialling in)
1. To connect (to someone or some place) by phone or other calling platform. A number of our listeners have been dialing in to tell us their opinions on this matter. Ted couldn't be here in person for the meeting, but he's going to dial in from Chicago.
2. To connect someone to a phone call or a call on another calling platform. A noun or pronoun can be used between "dial" and "in." I've been trying to dial in our IT specialist to help with the problem, but he isn't answering his phone. We can start the meeting as soon as we've dialed Karen in.
3. To input a particular number or numbers on a phone or other calling platform. A noun or pronoun can be used between "dial" and "in." You have to remember to dial in the country code for the call to connect. Some guy answered the call. I must have dialed the wrong number in.
4. To relay or transmit information (to someone or some place) with or as with a phone. A noun or pronoun can be used between "dial" and "in." Make sure you dial in the incident immediately, or we could be held legally liable for it. If you have any news tip for us to broadcast on air, don't hesitate to dial it in!
5. To achieve a particular setting or configuration using a dial or similar instrument. A noun or pronoun can be used between "dial" and "in." I know it's time consuming, but you'll get a much better sound if you take a couple minutes to dial in the right guitar tone. I've been trying to dial the signal in, but I'm just getting static.
6. To perform a role or duty in a halfhearted, disinterested, and unprofessional manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "dial" and "in," especially in the form "dial it in." Everyone dials it in on the morning after a staff party, so don't worry if you don't feel able to give this report your all. You can tell the actor is dialing it in—I'm sure he got a good paycheck for the voiceover, but you'd think he could try a little bit harder.
See also: dial
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.