devote to (someone or something)
1. To commit or dedicate oneself to someone or something. In this usage, a reflexive pronoun is used between "devote" and "to." Because I have completely devoted myself to my family, I refuse to relocate for work and upend their lives. Unfortunately, Molly seems to have devoted herself to a dubious nonprofit organization.
2. To allocate or earmark someone or something for someone or something else. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "devote" and "to." This week, I'm devoting all of my free time to finishing my term paper. All of the interns have been devoted to our mailing, so it shouldn't take too long to finish.
3. To dedicate a religious or other solemn occasion to someone or something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "devote" and "to." Today's prayer service is devoted to people in war-torn countries around the globe.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
devote someone or something to someone or something
to dedicate someone or something to the use or benefit of someone or something. I will devote a few of my people to your project. Sarah devoted all of her time to Roger.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To commit someone or something to some task: She devoted herself to finishing the project. Don't devote all your time to that one project. I'm devoted to finishing this book by Friday.
2. To commit someone loyally to someone or something: She devoted herself to her family. He was entirely devoted to his parents.
3. To set something apart for a specific purpose or use: I'm devoting Saturday to cleaning the house. This knife is devoted to cutting cheese.
4. To set something apart by or as if by a vow or solemn act; consecrate something: The priest devoted the Mass to the veterans in the parish.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.