dedicate (someone or something) to (someone or something)(redirected from dedicated to it)
dedicate (someone or something) to (someone or something)
1. To devote oneself to a particular course of action. Once I had recovered from my injury, I dedicated myself to training for the marathon again.
2. To allocate someone or something to a particular cause. Luckily, Carrie dedicated these interns to us, so the mailing shouldn't take all day.
3. To show one's affection for someone by naming them, as at the beginning of a book. Of course I dedicated my novel to wife, to show my appreciation for her unwavering support.
4. To commit or pledge something to a religious entity or intention. Our church recently dedicated a beautiful shrine to Mary.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
dedicate someone or something to someone or something
1. to reserve someone or something for the use of someone or something. The manager dedicated new assistants to the exclusive use of the legal department. The committee dedicated a corner in the library to books on agriculture.
2. to pledge someone or something to someone, something, a deity, or religious purposes. The elders dedicated the building to the glory of God. He dedicated himself to the prosecution of justice.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To address or inscribe something to someone as a mark of respect or affection: The author dedicated the book to her nephew. This monument is dedicated to prisoners of war.
2. To set something apart for some deity or for religious use; consecrate something: The parish dedicated the new church to St. Peter. The temple was dedicated to Ra, the Egyptian sun god.
3. To set something apart for some special use: The convention organizers have dedicated this table to publishers who want to sell their books. This lane of traffic is dedicated to city buses.
4. To commit someone to some course of thought or action: The candidate dedicated herself to fixing social security. The mayor is dedicated to lowering taxes.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.