death on (someone or something)(redirected from death on me)
death on (someone or something)
1. Hazardous to someone or something. Filing is just death on my hands in the winter—I get so many paper cuts!
2. Very strict about something. The CEO is death on absenteeism, I wouldn't take another sick day if I were you.
3. Adept at something that requires skill. That golfer is death on putting, so I'm confident he'll only need one more swing.
death on something
1. . Fig. very harmful; very effective in acting against someone or something. This road is terribly bumpy. It's death on tires. The sergeant is death on lazy soldiers.
2. Fig. accurate or deadly at doing something requiring skill or great effort. John is death on curve balls. He's our best pitcher. The boxing champ is really death on those fast punches.
Very effective against; also, very fond of. For example, "He is a wonderful fielder and sure death on bunts" (Christy Mathewson, Pitching, 1912), or The boss is death on tardiness, or She's death on the latest fashions. [Slang; early 1800s]
Opposed to or strict about: Our boss is death on casual dressing.