death on (someone or something)(redirected from death on me)
death on (someone or something)
1. Hazardous to someone or something. Filing is just death on my hands in the winter—I get so many paper cuts!
2. Very strict about something. The CEO is death on absenteeism, so I wouldn't take another sick day if I were you.
3. Adept at something that requires skill. That golfer is death on putting, so I'm confident he'll only need one more stroke.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
death on something
1. . Fig. very harmful; very effective in acting against someone or something. This road is terribly bumpy. It's death on tires. The sergeant is death on lazy soldiers.
2. Fig. accurate or deadly at doing something requiring skill or great effort. John is death on curve balls. He's our best pitcher. The boxing champ is really death on those fast punches.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Very effective against; also, very fond of. For example, "He is a wonderful fielder and sure death on bunts" (Christy Mathewson, Pitching, 1912), or The boss is death on tardiness, or She's death on the latest fashions. [Slang; early 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
death on someone/something
n. causing the death or destruction of someone or something. (see also death on something.) This kind of road is just death on tires.
death on something
n. moving very fast or skillfully on something, such as wheels. He is way fast—just death on wheels.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
Opposed to or strict about: Our boss is death on casual dressing.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.