A MUM of four died after accidentally using toxic death cap
mushrooms to add flavour to her soup, an inquest heard yesterday.
But what you really have to be careful about is the death cap
mushroom (Amanita phalloides, called a Gruner Knollenblatterpilz in German), or the fly agaric (Amanita muscaria, or German roter Fliegenpilz) which are truly deadly.
contain 20 different poisons and are responsible for 90% of all mushroom deaths.
In February, the girl, her two siblings and their mother became critically ill after picking the death caps
near the Lafayette Reservoir.
are large white mushrooms, often pale green on the outside of the head, with a cup-shaped base.
The survivor, in her 20s, collected handfuls of mushrooms, some thought to be toxic death caps
, with her husband on Sunday.
Amphon Tuckey, 39, cooked the death cap
fungi after niece Kannika picked them by mistake at a botanical garden, an inquest learnt yesterday.