deal with (someone or something)(redirected from dealt with her)
deal with (someone or something)
1. To manage or handle someone or something (usually someone or something unpleasant). The phrase "deal with it" can be used dismissively to leave a task to someone else. I just can't deal with him when gets hysterical like this. I'll deal with the construction problems at the house—you go on ahead to work. A: "Sir, I'm not sure how you want me to handle all these calls." B: "Oh, just deal with it, Jeff."
2. To focus on or include something. Your term paper must deal with the major themes of modernism and link them to your chosen text.
3. To conduct business with someone or something. It's such a pain dealing with that company. They sent us the wrong size T-shirts and then took weeks to issue a refund.
4. To treat someone in a particular way. The owner dealt with me very nicely, so I'll definitely go back to his shop.
5. slang To kill someone. Don't worry, once I deal with the informant, he won't go running to the cops ever again.
deal with someone or something
to manage someone or something. This is not a big problem. I think I can deal with it. I am sure I can deal with Jill.
deal with someone
Sl. to kill someone. "Spike, you deal with that cop," said the crime boss. The agent planned how best to deal with the rebel leader without getting caught.
1. See deal in, def. 1.
2. Do business with someone, as in I like dealing with this company. [Late 1600s] Also see deal in, def. 2.
3. Take action in, handle, administer, dispose of, as in The committee will deal with this matter. [Second half of 1400s]
4. Act in a specified way toward someone, as in He dealt extremely fairly with his competitors. [c. 1300]
1. To be about something; have to do with something: This report deals with teaching students how to read.
2. To confront or grapple with something: I can't deal with all of these problems at the same time. These researchers are dealing with the most difficult issues in the field. You dealt with their hostility very well.