cut it(redirected from cut it!)
1. To be at a satisfactory or requisite level; to successfully complete or accomplish a desired or expected result. Do you think the underdog will be able to cut it against the returning champion in the ring? I have to warn you, Jenkins, your last few reports haven't quite cut it. You're going to need to improve if you want to keep your job here.
2. To stop doing something. Come on, man, cut it! We'll totally get in trouble if you keep throwing the ball in the house! If they don't cut it soon, I'm going to go up there and give them a piece of my mind.
3. To handle, endure, or tolerate something. This situation is so stressful that I don't think I'll be able to cut it for much longer.
1. Also, cut that. Stop, as in I won't stand for that-cut it! or If you don't cut that, I'll tell. [Slang; first half of 1800s] Also see cut it out.
2. Manage, tolerate, as in I don't know how he can cut it. [Slang; c. 1900]
3. Be effective, prove satisfactory, as in She's getting old and can no longer cut it. [Late 1900s] For a synonym see cut the mustard. Also see the subsequent entries beginning with cut it.
cut itmeet the required standard. informal
1998 Spectator Heaven knows how such people get jobs in universities; they would not cut it on Fifteen-to-One .
To perform up to expectations or a required standard; be acceptable.