credit(redirected from credited)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a credit to (someone or something)
A person or thing that reflects very well on someone or something. You children are so well behaved. They're a real credit to your parenting. Sarah is a credit to this company. We must do everything we can to keep her on board. You should all be proud. The work you've done here today will stand as a credit to you all.
See also: credit
credit (something) to (someone or something)
1. To apply a payment to a financial account belonging to someone or something. Now, which account should I credit this payment to?
2. To give someone praise, admiration, or acknowledgement for some task, achievement, or accomplishment. Jenny did all the hard parts of the project, so we need to credit the work to her.
See also: credit
Bought owing some or all of something's cost in the future, either in full or in instalments, instead of paying that money upfront. We desperately needed a new car but our savings were pretty depleted, so we had to buy it on credit. You need to stop buying things on credit, or you're going to be in debt for the rest of your life.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. praise or recognition for one's role in something. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) Especially with a lot of ~, much ~.) Mary should get a lot of credit for the team's success. Each of the team captains should get credit.
2. praise or recognition of someone for having a particular quality. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) We give her a lot of credit for her ability to get people to work out their differences. We will give credit to Sharon for her good humor.
3. credit granted to someone's account for some other financial transaction. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) I will give you credit for the returned merchandise. We got credit for the check Brian sent us.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- a credit to (someone or something)
- be a credit to
- be a credit to (someone or something)
- buy (something) on credit
- buy on credit
- cash or credit
- credit (someone or something) with (something)
- credit (something) to (someone or something)
- credit for
- credit for (something)
- credit to
- credit where credit is due
- credit with
- deserve credit for
- deserve credit for (someone or something)
- do (one) credit
- do credit to
- do credit to (one)
- do somebody credit
- do someone proud
- extend (one) credit
- extend credit
- extend credit to
- extend credit to (one)
- get credit for
- get credit for (something)
- give (someone) credit
- give credit
- give credit to (someone)
- give credit where credit is due
- have (something) to (one's) credit
- have something to your credit
- on credit
- on the credit side
- on the credit side (of the ledger)
- reflect credit on
- reflect credit on (someone, something, or oneself)
- reflect credit upon (someone, something, or oneself)
- sell (something) on credit
- sell on credit
- take credit (for something)
- take credit for
- take credit where credit is due
- take the cash and let the credit go
- to (one's) credit