Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to crap up: crap game
1. To ruin, bungle, or spoil something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "crap" and "up." I really crapped up that project at work—I'm going to get fired for sure!
2. To overrun or obstruct a thing or place, as with clutter, garbage, or undesirable things. A noun or pronoun can be used between "crap" and "up." Would you stop crapping up our apartment with all your silly figurines?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Burden or clutter up, as in Jane crapped up the garden with plastic pink flamingos. [c. 1946]
2. Ruin or foul up, as in I've really crapped up this speech; can I just start over again? This idiom employs crap in the sense of "defecate." [ Vulgar slang; c. 1950]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
v. Vulgar Slang
1. To bungle or make a mess of something: I really crapped up the project. It looks like they crapped it up again.
2. To fail to function properly: My computer crapped up on me, and I had to shut it down.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.