Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. verb, informal To manage to open or break into (something). He's the best thief in the Pacific Northwest. There's no safe in the world that he can't crack!
2. verb, informal To open (something) for use or consumption. Let's crack another bottle of champagne—it's a celebration, after all! I had just sat down and cracked my new book, when my kids came in and interrupted me.
3. verb, informal To tell (something) impulsively, especially a joke. We sat around cracking jokes until the early hours of the morning. I can't believe a politician would crack a fart joke during a televised debate!
4. noun, slang The fissure between the buttocks. Dude, pull up your pants—your crack is showing!
5. noun, informal A witty, snide, or sarcastic remark. If you keep making cracks like that during class, I'll send you straight to the principal's office! I couldn't help but laugh at the crack she made about the boss's idea.
6. noun, slang Short for "crack cocaine," a highly addictive freebase form of cocaine that is usually smoked in large crystals. Tom used to be a great student, but he got hooked on crack during college.
7. noun, slang Great fun or entertainment, especially in a social setting. A variant spelling of "craic." Primarily heard in Ireland. That was one wild night. We all had the crack. With so many comedians gathered together at the party, well, the crack was mighty, I tell you.
8. noun, slang News or details about someone or something. A variant spelling of "craic." Usually used in questions. Primarily heard in Ireland. Anyone know what the crack is with the meeting tonight? Is it still happening, or what? What's the crack with your sister? Is she still over in Australia? Hey, Tony, what's the crack? Long time no see!
slang Crazy; insane. A: "With this scheme, I'm going to be rich!" B: "You're cracked, dude. This will never work!" I don't know what the guy's problem was, but he was definitely cracked.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Fig. solved; understood. (*Typically: get something~; have something ~.) I've got the mystery cracked! After I get it cracked, the rest'll be easy.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
mod. crazy. You’re cracked if you think I’ll agree to that.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- all it's cracked up to be
- be not all it's cracked up to be
- be not what it's cracked up to be
- crack (something) wide open
- crack a bottle open
- crack a joke
- crack a smile
- crack a tube
- crack a/the window (open)
- crack down
- crack down on (something)
- crack onto (someone or something)
- crack open
- crack open a/the bottle
- crack some suds
- crack the door (open)
- crack the whip
- crack through (something)
- crack under the strain
- crack up
- crack wise
- cracked up
- cracked up as (something)
- cracked up to be
- not all (someone or something) is cracked up to be
- not all is cracked up to be
- not all it's cracked up to be
- not all, everything, etc. somebody/something is cracked up to be
- not everything (someone or something) is cracked up to be
- not what (someone or something) is cracked up to be
- not what (something) is cracked up to be
- what is cracked up to be