Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
converge (up)on (someone or something)
1. To gather near something or someone as a destination, point of interest, or target of confrontation. Protestors converged on the senator, demanding his resignation over the scandal. Officials expect thousands of festivalgoers to converge on the rural fairgrounds.
2. To come together and merge at a focal point. In my nightmare, the shadows all converged upon themselves to form some horrific, singular entity.
See also: converge
converge in upon (someone or something)
1. To gather around and focus in on something or someone. Protestors converged in upon the senator, demanding his resignation over the scandal.
2. To come together and merge at a focal point. In my nightmare, the shadows all converged in upon themselves to form some horrific, singular entity.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
converge (up)on someone or something
1. Lit. to gather near or around someone or something. (Upon is formal and less commonly used than on.) Everyone converged on the wounded sailor. The shoppers converged on the store as it opened for the big sale.
2. Fig. to meet on someone or something; to grow together so as to focus on someone or something. (Upon is formal and less commonly used than on.) Even political enemies converged on the matter of simplifying the tax code. Our discussions converged on Eric.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To come together from various places and assemble somewhere for a common purpose: Protesters converged on the park for a peace rally.
2. To attack someone or something from all sides: The police converged on the suspect.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.