contest(redirected from contestable)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to contestable: Contestable market
be busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest
slang To be very busy or preoccupied. Take this to someone else—I'm busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest right now. With the law set to take effect soon, local businesses have been busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest trying to get in line with new regulations.
dick measuring contest
vulgar slang A petty competition among individuals (usually men) who are trying to prove that they are better at something than the others. You're all good golfers, OK? Now can we please stop this ridiculous dick measuring contest? I hate how these political debates always seem to turn into a dick measuring contest, with each candidate trying to outdo the others.
1. A plea in a criminal court case, in which the defendant accepts a conviction without offering a defense, but also without admitting guilt. The college student plead no contest to charges of manslaughter and aggravated assault.
2. An outcome in a combat sport, especially boxing, in which there is neither a winner nor a loser due to reasons outside of the combatants' control. The referee declared no contest when the power went out in the stadium. The referee accidentally hit one of the fighters in the eye with his elbow, so he had to declare a no contest.
3. A situation in which one side is overwhelmingly more likely to succeed over the other. A: "Who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman?" B: "Superman, no contest." Everyone assumed it was no contest that Robertson would win, given his size, experience, and ability. Yet against all odds, Ramirez defeated him in the final seconds of the match.
not going to win any beauty contests
Not especially beautiful or attractive. Sometimes used as a facetious or sarcastic way of calling someone or something ugly. I know I'm not going to win any beauty contests, but I don't think I'm so ugly that no one would want to be with me. A: "What do you think of their new house?" B: "Well, it isn't going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure."
rude slang A useless or trivial argument, competition, or comparison. Whenever Jeff and Tim hang out, they always get into this pissing contest about who's the bigger sci-fi fanatic. If you two are quite finished with your little pissing contest, do you think we might get back to work now?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Lit. [in games] a situation where one team fails to appear for a competition. It was declared no contest because the opposing team was stuck in traffic out on the expressway.
2. Fig. a situation where the winner-to-be of a contest is obvious even before holding the contest. It was no contest. The wrestler was so big and strong that no one could have defeated him.
not going to win any beauty contests
Fig. homely; ugly. Fred isn't going to win any beauty contests, but he's smart and considerate and he does well at his job. This old truck of mine is not going to win any beauty contests, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
no contest1 a decision by the referee to declare a boxing match invalid on the grounds that one or both of the boxers are not making serious efforts. 2 a competition, comparison, or choice of which the outcome is a foregone conclusion.
This expression is mainly found in the USA, and is perhaps influenced by the plea of nolo contendere (I do not wish to contend) in US law, meaning that the defendant in a criminal prosecution accepts conviction but does not admit guilt.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017