confine(redirected from confined)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to confined: Confined aquifer
confine (someone or something) to (someone or something)
1. To restrict a person or animal to a particular place or area. Don't worry, the baby is confined to her playpen right now. Maddy is scared of dogs, so we need to confine Fido to the back yard.
2. To restrict something to a particular person or thing; to limit the scope of something. We need to confine our investigation to the area around the park for now. Please confine your requests to the essentials, so as to not overwhelm the staff.
See also: confine
confine (someone or something) within (something)
To restrict a person or animal to a particular place or area. Don't worry, I confined the baby within her playpen. Maddy is scared of dogs, so we need to confine Fido within the back yard.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
confine someone or an animal to something
to limit someone or an animal to a particular place; to imprison someone or an animal in a particular place. Would you please confine the dog to the basement? She confined herself to the small room for over a year because of her fear of crowds.
confine (someone or an animal) within something
to contain someone or an animal within something. We were unable to confine the dog within the yard. Could you confine all your car-repair mess within the garage?
confine something to someone or something
to limit something or the doing of something to a person or a thing. Please try to confine your comments to John. Can we confine tonight's discussion to the agenda?
See also: confine
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- confine or an animal to
- confine to
- confine (someone or something) to (someone or something)
- confine (someone or something) within (something)
- confine within
- scare the hell out of (one)
- scare, annoy, etc. the hell out of somebody
- scare the devil out of (one)
- put (someone or something) inside (something)