comp(redirected from comping)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. verb To give something to someone for free, often as a gesture of appreciation after something has gone awry. We had to wait so long to be seated that the manager comped us a round of drinks and an appetizer.
2. verb To accompany someone in a musical performance. If you want to sing at the recital, I'll comp you on the piano.
3. noun Something that has been given for free. Oh, these drinks are comps for our long wait, thank goodness.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. tv. to accompany someone [musically]. I have to sing a solo at a wedding and need someone to comp me.
2. tv. to give something to someone free. (Either as compensation for difficulties endured or as a complimentary gift.) The movie patron was angry and demanded his money back. The manager comped him with a few free passes and he was happy.
3. n. a complimentary gift. I expect comps when I spend a lot of money in a casino.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.