come up dry(redirected from coming up dry)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
come up dry
To have no results or not have the desired results. How did you find that? All my Google searches came up dry. I've asked around for a babysitter, but so far I've come up dry.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
come up drybe unsuccessful. North American
1988 James Trefil The Dark Side of the Universe Attempts to see this decay with extremely sensitive experiments have so far come up dry.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- rubbish in, rubbish out
- (there's) no point (in) (doing something)
- be climbing the walls
- a mixed blessing
- be like a cat on hot bricks
- you (can) catch more flies with honey than (with) vinegar
- You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
- you will catch more flies with honey than (with) vinegar
- a numbers game
- a/the numbers game