come into(redirected from come into one's own)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
come into (something or some place)
1. To enter a room, house, or other place. I was suspicious when everyone stopped talking as soon as I came into the room.
2. To inherit or otherwise acquire something, often in a way that involves good fortune. I think she came into all of that money when her grandmother died.
3. To obtain power or a particular office. Ever since Claire came into office, she's practically ignored the constituents she promised to help.
4. To reach a new level of maturity, independence, or success. Often said of young adults. In this usage, the phrase is followed by "(one's) own." Betsy has really come into her own this year. A full-time job, a new apartment—she's doing great!
5. To reach a particular state. Our lives came into normalcy after my husband stopped working 80-hour weeks.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Inherit, acquire, as in She expected to come into a fortune when she turned twenty-one. [Early 1700s]
2. Accede to power or office, as in He came into office in 1820 and served three terms. [Early 1800s]
3. come into one's own. Get rightful possession of something; achieve rightful recognition. For example, The serial composers have finally come into their own. [Early 1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To enter some enclosed space or region: When the president came into the room, everyone stood up.
2. To acquire something, especially by good fortune: Since her parents were so rich, she came into a fortune on her twenty-first birthday. The store managed to come into a huge number of winter hats, so they were put on sale.
3. To attain some state or condition: After some rearrangement, our plans came into good shape.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.