come between (two or more people)(redirected from come between you)
come between (two or more people)
1. To be positioned between two or more people. Line up in alphabetical order. Billy, you come between Alice and Chris.
2. To cause problems for the romantic relationship or friendship of two or more people. I know they're under a lot of stress, but I hope they don't let their financial troubles come between them. I feel like something has come between me and my roommate, but I don't know what it is.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
come between (someone and someone else)
1. Lit. to be in between two people. That's my place, there. I come between Maria and Lynn. In the line of contestants, I come between Bob and Bill.
2. Fig. to interfere in someone else's romance; to break up a pair of lovers. Don't come between Terri and Jeff.
come between (something and something else)
to have a position between one thing and another. April comes between March and May. This volume comes between numbers fourteen and sixteen.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Divide, cause to be antagonized, as in I wouldn't want to come between husband and wife. This idiom transfers the literal meaning of the phrase, "to intervene" (as in Volume 6 should come between Volumes 5 and 7), to figurative interference.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To be situated before part of some group and after another part: A quiet section of this piece comes between the loud introduction and the end of the first movement.
2. To be a source of conflict or disruption for someone or something: I didn't want the dispute about money to come between us.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.