color outside the lines

Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!

color outside the lines

To think or act in a way that does not conform to set rules. Likened to the way a child might color outside the lines of a coloring book. My coworkers don't always understand my ideas, especially since I like to color outside the lines. Don't be surprised if Janet shows up wearing something bizarre—she really likes to color outside the lines.
See also: color, line, outside
References in periodicals archive ?
That is to say, if Mathews has to color outside the lines in pursuit of justice, then so be it.
No one is perfect, so instead of following an ironclad meal plan (and punishing yourself for every errant bite), Bauer recommends a more realistic 90/10 approach: Eat healthfully 90 percent of the time and color outside the lines the other 10 percent.
Color outside the lines, paint the sun pink and the sky green, Liz enthuses.
His secret for creating remarkable art is to color outside the lines, and this concept was enthusiastically embraced by and resonated with the students of the ECF Kayne Eras School.
Leadership--We, as members and as a board, need to continue to color outside the lines, to think outside the box, to be not only visionary thinkers but also doers, so that ICEA can continue to grow and move forward into the future.
Charles Best, Hans Tullman and Whoopi Goldberg will be honored at Color Outside the Lines, a fundraising event held at Jack Studios in New York.
We remain steadfast and committed to bringing together the full spectrum of knowledge, experience, ideas and vision to ensure that as an industry we continue to color outside the lines and innovate for the good of the patient and the business of health care.
But nature tends to color outside the lines -- animals migrate and move through different territories, and climate change means many animals and plants may shift to new areas in the near future.
We're showcasing seven cool wags to color outside the lines.
It's not unusual for people to lose their sense of purpose or direction when they equate it with a particular profession or role in life, says Cheryl Davis Jordan, a leadership development coach and owner of Color Outside the Lines in Fort Washington, Maryland.
On "Rule Breaker," Simpson swipes, "I just wanna color outside the lines," a bold statement coming from someone who's very comfortable not thinking outside the box.
Buy them their own box and encourage each individual to color outside the Lines as your company begins the process of continuous improvement.
Almost every child has the urge to color outside the lines, but in I Ain't Gonna Paint No More one boy takes the impulse to alarming extremes.
Arnold Schwarzenegger's wife, Maria Shriver, addressed Winn and other honorees in the chamber, describing them as people who think outside the box, color outside the lines and don't necessarily obey the rules.
There are a lot of creative bankers out there--leaders who have demonstrated that it is possible both to color outside the lines and still run a successful institution that makes lots of money