cold as ice
Also found in: Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
(as) cold as ice
1. Extremely cold in temperature. My feet are cold as ice after being outside for hours. I'm wearing three sweaters because it's as cold as ice in here!
2. Distant or unfriendly in temperament. Is Heather mad at me? She was as cold as ice when I tried to talk to her earlier.
3. Utterly unfeeling or unsympathetic. He looked at me with eyes as cold as ice, and I realized that he had no intention of helping me.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
cold as ice
1. If someone or something is as cold as ice, they are very cold. A hand that felt as cold as ice touched her forehead. Note: People also use the much more frequent adjective ice-cold to mean the same thing. He took a mouthful of the ice cold beer. He felt a lash of fear, running ice-cold down his spine.
2. If a person or their words are as cold as ice, they are very unfriendly. The next morning she sat, cold as ice, through breakfast.
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012