Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
cluster around (someone or something)
1. To gather around someone or something. The kids clustered around the clown to watch him make balloon animals.
2. To position someone or something around someone or something else. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "cluster" and "around." Mom clustered the kids around the clown so that they could all see him make balloon animals. Now we need to cluster the purple flowers around the white ones.
To gather or bunch together. The kids clustered together to watch the clown make balloon animals. Why are all of our nicest Christmas ornaments clustered together on one side of the tree?
1. rude slang A chaotic situation rife with problems. Oh, the dinner party was a total clusterfuck—the roast was dry, the toilet overflowed, and everyone argued about politics.
2. vulgar slang A group sexual encounter. No, I've never taken part in a clusterfuck—have you?
cluster around someone or something
[for a group of people or things] to bunch together, surrounding someone or something. The birds clustered around the chimney top to keep warm. The kids clustered around the police officer.
cluster someone or something around someone or something
to bunch people or things together around someone or something. She clustered the cups around the punch bowl. Karen clustered the children around the fire.
to bunch or group together. All of the bats clustered together on the roof of the cave. The children clustered together in small groups here and there on the playground.
1. n. an act of group rape. (Also Charlie Foxtrot from the initials CF. Usually objectionable.) Look at her! She’s just asking for a cluster fuck.
2. n. any event as riotous as an act of group rape. (Figurative on sense 1 The same allusion as sense 1) This goddamn day has been one long cluster fuck!