cloud over(redirected from clouded over)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To become overcast, as of the sky. Enjoy this sunshine while it lasts because the sky is supposed to cloud over this afternoon.
2. To become difficult to see through or opaque. I wouldn't try to put makeup on in the bathroom just yet—the mirror is still clouded over from when I showered.
1. Lit. [for the sky] to fill with clouds; [for the sun] to be obscured by clouds. It was beginning to cloud over, so we went inside. The sky clouded over and it began to get chilly.
2. Fig. [for something once clear] to become opaque; to become clouded. My vision seemed to cloud over, and I could see very little. The mirror clouded over as the steam rose from the hot water in the sink.
Also, cloud up.
1. Become overcast with clouds, as in It's clouding over now, so it may rain soon, or It was too hot and sunny, but after a while the sky clouded up and we ventured outside. [Mid-1700s]
2. Become opaque, misty, or dim, as in I'm sweating so much that my eyeglasses are clouded over.