clog up(redirected from clogs me up)
1. To obstruct. A noun or pronoun can be used between "clog" and "up." This cold is clogging up my nose and I can hardly breathe. Yuck! There's a wad of hair clogging the drain up!
2. To become obstructed or filled up such that nothing can get through. Honey, where's the plunger? The toilet clogged up again. If the gutter clogs up, you're going to have a bunch of dirty water start spilling down onto your driveway.
3. To make constipated. A noun or pronoun can be used between "clog" and "up." That type of food always clogs me up—I was constipated for days the last time I ate it.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
clog someone up
[for some kind of food] to constipate someone. This cheese clogs me up. I can't eat it. This food clogs up people who eat it.
clog something up
[for something] to obstruct a channel or conduit. The leaves clogged the gutters up. They clogged up the gutter.
[for a channel or conduit] to become blocked. The canal clogged up with leaves and mud.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To obstruct some passageway: The fallen leaves clogged up the drainpipe. The sediment clogged the pipe up.
2. To cause something to become obstructed: I clogged up the sink with some leftover food. This nagging cold has clogged my sinuses up.
3. To become obstructed: Call the plumber; the toilet clogged up again.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.