clash(redirected from clashes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
clash against (someone or something)
To fight against someone or something. The two sides have been clashing against each other in the streets for weeks—when will the fighting stop?
clash of the ash
1. In the sport of hurling, the sound of opponents' hurleys (long paddle-like sticks, made from ash wood) striking each other. Primarily heard in Ireland. It was an intense match, and the fierce clash of the ash could be heard ringing through the pitch.
2. By extension, a contest between two hurling teams. Primarily heard in Ireland. Fans are gearing up for spectacular clash of the ash this Saturday afternoon.
clash with (someone or something)
1. To fight or disagree with someone or something. My house is always full of yelling because my kids clash with each other on everything.
2. To contradict or be in disagreement with something. The governor's new tax plan clashes with his campaign promises. Our idea got rejected because it clashed with the boss's vision for our department.
3. To look visually displeasing when paired or juxtaposed with something, usually as of colors. That eyeshadow totally clashes with her skin tone, unfortunately. We're all wearing pink, so you're definitely going to clash with us if you wear orange.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
clash against something
to wage a battle or attack against someone or something. The troops clashed against the enemy. We clashed against the opposite side for over three days.
clash (with someone) (over someone or something)
to fight or argue with someone about someone or something. The customer clashed with the pharmacist over the price of the medicine. I clashed over my pay increase with the school principal.
clash with something
[for the color of something] to conflict with or mismatch another color. This red carpet clashes with the purple of the drapes. This red does not clash with purple. It looks gorgeous.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- clash against
- clash against (someone or something)
- get up against
- get up against (someone or something)
- against (someone or something)
- fortify (someone or something) against (something) with (something)
- avenge (oneself) against (someone or something)
- build a case against (someone or something)
- graze against