chit(redirected from chitted)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A slip of paper that one signs to indicate money owed, in lieu of a formal payment. The owner was kind enough to give me a chit after she heard that I'd forgotten my wallet at home.
1. verb To talk in an idle or casual manner. We're just chitchatting, come on in.
2. noun An instance of idle or casual chatter. We're just having a chitchat, come on in.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a bill or tabulation of charges that one signs rather than paying. I don’t have any cash. Can I sign a chit for it?
2. n. a check. She wrote out a chit for the balance due.
1. n. talk; idle talk. That’s enough chitchat. Please get to work.
2. n. a short, friendly conversation. I’d like to have a little chitchat with you when you have time.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.