chilly(redirected from chillily)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Used to describe an area in which women's involvement or progress is not encouraged. It is typically applied to fields like politics and academia. I'm the only woman in the sociology department right now, and boy, is it a chilly climate. I can see that I will have a hard time advancing here.
See also: chilly
1. and chilly n. a cold can of beer. Hey, toss me a chill, would ya, buddy? How ’bout a chilly, Billy?
2. tv. to kill someone. (Underworld.) I’ll chill you with one blast from my cannon, you creep!
3. tv. to frighten someone. (Standard English.) The prospect of having to go in there alone chilled Willy, but he went in anyway.
4. tv. to reject someone. She chilled me once too often. I won’t take that from a dame.
5. Go to chill (out).
6. tv. & in. to relax; to cause someone to relax; to hang out [with someone]. (see also chill (out).) They are chilling now. For a while they were real rowdy.
See chill out
in. living well with lots of diamonds. (Refers to ice, diamonds.) That dude’s livin’ chilly, fo shizzle. He’s so iced out!