chicken(redirected from chickening)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, informal A game or challenge, especially a dangerous one, the loser of which being the first person to yield or lose their nerve. There was a group of boys that liked to play chicken on the train tracks, until one of them got his foot stuck and died. The two cars sped toward the cliff in a deadly game of chicken, with bragging rights going to whomever managed to get the closest to the edge without turning.
2. noun, slang A coward. Sometimes used as a term of address. Don't be such a chicken! Everybody fudges their tax returns a little bit. A: "There's no way I'm sneaking out to go to some party." B: "Chicken!"
3. noun, dated slang A young or inexperienced person. I'm no chicken, son. I've been at this work for over a decade! She may adopt a sagacious demeanor, but at 25, she is still a mere chicken.
4. adjective, slang Cowardly; ignobly fearful. Oh, you're just chicken! Afraid of what the big, bad principal will do to you for cutting class.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. a coward. Come on, let’s go. Don’t be a chicken.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (one's) (hand)writing is like chicken scratch
- (one's) chickens come home to roost
- a chicken and egg situation/problem
- a chicken in every pot
- a chicken-and-egg problem
- a chicken-and-egg situation
- a goner
- be no spring chicken
- be running around like a headless chicken
- be up with the chickens
- beat the dummy
- chicken and egg
- chicken feed
- chicken fillet
- chicken out
- chicken out of (something)
- chicken out of something
- chicken out on
- chicken out on (one)
- chicken powder
- chicken scratch
- chickens come home to roost
- chickens come home to roost, one's
- choke the chicken
- count chickens before they hatch
- count one's chickens before they hatch
- count your chickens
- count your chickens before they hatch
- count your chickens before they're hatched
- curses, like chickens, come home to roost
- don't count your chickens
- don't count your chickens before they hatch
- Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
- Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.
- for chicken feed
- for peanuts
- get up with the chickens
- go to bed with
- go to bed with the chickens
- have (hand)writing like chicken scratch
- If it ain't chickens, it's feathers
- like a chicken with its head cut off
- like a chicken with its head cut off, (run about)
- like a chicken with the pip
- like a headless chicken
- Mother Carey is plucking her chickens
- no chicken
- no spring chicken
- no spring chicken, (she's)
- not count your chickens
- one day chicken and the next day feathers
- rubber chicken dinner
- run about like a chicken with its head cut off
- run about like a headless chicken
- run around like a chicken with its head cut off
- run around like a chicken with its head cut off and run in circles
- run around like a headless chicken
- running about like a headless chicken
- spring chicken
- the chickens are coming home to roost
- up with the chickens
- wake up with the chickens
- when chickens have teeth
- Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
- yellow-bellied chicken
- you're chicken