Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. Contemptibly petty or insignificant. For example, He has spent his life making up chicken shit rules that nobody follows anyway. This expression gained currency during World War II, when it was often applied to the enforcement of petty and disagreeable military regulations. [ Vulgar slang; c. 1930]
2. Cowardly, as in You're not too chicken shit to come along, are you? [ Vulgar slang; mid-1940s]
1. n. virtually nothing. (From chicken feed. Usually objectionable.) Fifty bucks! That’s just chicken shit!
2. mod. cowardly. (Usually objectionable.) You are such a chicken shit coward! Stand up and fight!
3. mod. worthless. (Usually objectionable.) I don’t want this chicken shit pizza! Get me one with pepperoni on it, not dead fish.