chew on (something)(redirected from chewing on)
chew on (something)
1. Literally, to bite or gnaw on something. The baby has been completely miserable lately, except for when he's chewing on a teething ring.
2. To contemplate something. I've been chewing on this job offer for days, but I still haven't made a decision.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
chew on someone or something
1. to gnaw at something. The dog was chewing on my shoe.
2. Go to chew something over.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To bite and grind something with the teeth: If we give the puppy a bone, maybe it will stop chewing on our shoes.
2. To meditate or ponder something; think about something: I chewed on the question for a full minute before answering.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.