chew over(redirected from chew us over)
1. To discuss something at length. A noun or pronoun can be used between "chew" and "over." I've chewed the job offer over with many people, but I still haven't decided what to do.
2. To contemplate something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "chew" and "over." I've been chewing over this job offer for days, but I still haven't decided what to do.
3. To scold or address one harshly or angrily. A noun or pronoun can be used between "chew" and "over." The boss is totally going to chew us over if he hears that we lost that big client.
chew something over
1. Inf. to talk something over; to discuss something. We can chew it over at lunch. Why don't we do lunch sometime and chew over these matters?
2. and chew on something Fig. to think something over. I'll have to chew it over for a while. I'm not sure now. I have to chew on all this stuff for a day or two. Then I'll get back to you.
1. To think about or discuss something for a period of time: Your plan sounds good, but I'll have to chew it over. I chewed over the idea for a few days, but decided against it.
2. To criticize or berate someone strongly: They really chewed me over for forgetting to write the report. When we were kids, my parents would chew over all of us whenever we made a big mess.