check into(redirected from checked ourselves into)
1. To officially confirm one's arrival at a certain place where one is expected, such as a hotel. I'll check into the hotel and get our room key. Where do we check into the conference?
2. To voluntarily seek medical care at the hospital (as opposed to being rushed there by ambulance). In this usage, a reflexive pronoun is used between "check" and "into." I'm glad I checked myself into the hospital because the pain turned out to be appendicitis!
3. To officially record someone's or something's arrival at a certain place. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "check" and "into." Sir, I can check you into the hotel over here. Can you check these books into the system?
4. To investigate something. Please check into these discrepancies in the budget, and let me know what you find out.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Investigate something, as in I don't know when they open but I'll check into it. Also see check out.
2. Register one's arrival at, as in She was about to check into the hospital. Also see check in, def. 1.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To investigate something; look into something: I checked into the rumor that the band was going on tour, and the rumor turned out to be false.
2. To register and gain admittance to one's room upon arrival at a hotel or other place of lodging: When I arrived in New York, I checked into the hotel and went straight to bed.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.