chat up(redirected from chatted us up)
1. To engage someone in lighthearted banter or casual conversation. A noun or pronoun can be used between "chat" and "up." I love chatting up tourists visiting our city. It gives you such diverse and interesting perspectives!
2. To engage in flirtatious conversation with someone, usually in pursuit of romantic or sexual purposes. A noun or pronoun can be used between "chat" and "up." I was chatting up this cute guy at the bar last night, and I managed to get his phone number! I hate when people chat me up in clubs. I just want to have a nice time out with my friends!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Talk flirtatiously to, as in Leave it to Charlie to chat up the girls. This usage is mostly but not entirely British. [Late 1800s]
2. Engage in light, friendly talk, as in He was soon chatting up all the board members. [Mid-1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To engage someone in light, casual talk, especially in order to gain his or her favor: The salesperson chatted us up for an hour before we finally decided to buy something. I chatted up the director, hoping to get a part in the film.
2. To talk amorously to someone, usually without serious intentions; flirt with someone: Many people go to the bar just to chat up the attractive bartenders. By their false smiles, we could tell they were coming over to chat us up.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.