change up(redirected from changes up)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. verb To alter or switch something, especially from a usual method or proceedings. In this usage, "change it up" is commonly used. I've had this haircut for awhile now, so I think it's time to change it up. You should change up your material so people don't get bored with it.
2. verb To change to a higher gear while driving. You'll probably need to change up once you get on the highway.
3. noun In baseball, a pitch that has a similar wind-up to a fastball but travels much slower. In this usage, the phrase is usually written as one word. If you throw a changeup now, I think you'll get this guy out.
1. To alter something: The cafeteria changed up the menu after people complained that they were tired of macaroni and cheese. When the other team discovered our strategy, we had to change it up.
2. To switch to a higher gear when driving a motor vehicle: When you accelerate, you have to change up or the car will stall.