catch up with (someone)(redirected from caught up with me)
catch up with (someone)
1. Of friends or relatives, to update one another on life events that occurred since the last time seeing each other. It was so lovely catching up with you; it's been years since we were last together! You and I must really catch up with each other sometime soon.
2. To find (and, of police, to arrest) someone after a period of time trying to track that person down. The bank robber disappeared for almost a week, but the police caught up with him at the border of Mexico.
3. To make up the difference between oneself and someone or something, so as to be at an equal level, status, or point of progress. If we speed up, we might be able to catch up with the car ahead of us!
4. To meet again at a later point in time. We'll catch up with you after the movie.
5. To cause unpleasant consequences or have dire implications, especially after a certain period of time. You might like to party all night long now, but all that drinking is going to catch up with you someday. His criminal record as a teen caught up with him in job interviews as an adult.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
catch up with
1. To find or arrest after a period of pursuit: The police finally caught up with him in Omaha.
2. To have unpleasant consequences for, especially after a period of quiescence: mistakes that caught up with him when he ran for president.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.