cast around(redirected from cast us around)
1. Literally, to throw, toss, or hurl something in multiple different directions or all around some place. A noun or pronoun can be used between "cast" and "around." A worker forgot to put the safety shield on the digging equipment, so it started casting around stones and dirt the moment it was turned on. The kids tore open their presents, casting bits of cardboard and wrapping paper around the room.
2. To turn or direct a look, gaze, attention, etc., in multiple different directions or all around some place. A noun or pronoun can be used between "cast" and "around." I cast my eyes around the auditorium, but I couldn't see my family anywhere in the audience. You could see from the nervous glances she was casting around that she was not comfortable in the situation whatsoever.
3. To aim something, such as criticism, accusation, distrust, etc., in a careless or flippant manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "cast" and "around." Hold on, hold on. Let's see some evidence before you start casting around accusations like that.
4. To search for or seek something, especially by looking aimlessly or in many different places. Usually followed by "for." Although Pam has taken classes in a variety of disciplines during her three years at college, she's still casting around for a major. The director pulled out at the last minute, so we've been casting around for a replacement.
5. To plan or come up with something, especially in a hasty, haphazard, or aimless manner. Usually followed by "for." We cast around for a solution to the problem, but I knew that the project was beyond salvation.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.