Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. To do or accomplish something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "carry" and "through." With your shared passion for this project, I'm confident that you two can carry it through.
2. To sustain or aid someone, especially during a challenging time. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "carry" and "through." The championship game was so intense that I really had to rely on my mental toughness to carry me through. My savings account really carried me through that difficult time of unemployment.
3. To continue to do something as it has been done, sometimes for sentimental reasons. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "carry" and "through." All of my siblings have carried through the family tradition of becoming a doctor, which I guess makes me, the lone artist, quite a rebel.
carry someone or something through something
to lift up and move someone or something through something. We will have to carry him through the crowd to the ambulance. Jane carried the groceries through the doorway.
carry someone through (something)
to sustain someone (as someone's expenses or needs) during something. Can this amount carry you through the week? Yes, this will carry me through.
(on something) Go to follow through (on something).
1. Continue with or persevere to the end, as in She carried the project through despite being ill. Shakespeare used this idiom in king Lear (1:4): "My good intent may carry through itself." [c. 1600]
2. Survive or persist, as in His excellent technique carries through all his work.
3. Also, carry one through. Enable to endure; sustain. For example, His faith helped carry him through this last ordeal . [Mid-1700s]
1. To bring something to completion; accomplish something: Although at times it seemed as though we'd never finish, we carried the project through by the deadline.
2. To survive; persist: Some traditions have carried through over the centuries.
3. To enable someone to endure; sustain someone: Their strong faith carried them through the horrible ordeal.