carry forward(redirected from carries it forward)
1. To cause a plan or situation to progress. A noun or pronoun can be used between "carry" and "forward." With your shared passion for this initiative, I'm confident that you two can carry it forward.
2. In accounting, to transfer an entry to the next page or column. A noun or pronoun can be used between "carry" and "forward." Did you carry forward the total from the last page? If not, that might be the source of the error.
carry something forward
to take a figure from one column or category to another. Now, carry this figure forward into the tens column.
1. Also, carry over. Transfer a bookkeeping entry to the next column, page, another account, or the next accounting period, as in Let's carry forward this loss to the next quarter for a saving in taxes, or She made an error in carrying over this column. The first term dates from the first half of the 1800s; the variant dates from the mid-1700s.
2. Make progress in, advance, as in His successor hoped to carry forward his work. Also see carry on.
1. In accounting, to transfer some entry to the next column, page, or book, or to another account: The company decided to carry their losses forward to offset future profits.
2. To succeed or make progress with something: I thought of the plan, and my assistant carried it forward.