Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to campy: Campylobacter
1. noun Something that is garish, over the top, and, often, outdated , usually humorously so. Sure, the play is just pure camp, but it's quite a romp.
2. adjective Exaggerated, racy, or tacky. I know your character is supposed to provide comic relief, but you don't have to add quite so much camp humor.
3. adjective Relating to homosexuality. I highly doubt that every man who behaves in that camp manner is gay.
Exaggerated, racy, or tacky. That play was way too campy for Grandma—we shouldn't have brought her.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. something cute and out of fashion; something of such an anachronistic style as to be intriguing. Nobody really knows what style camp really is, and very few even care.
2. and campy mod. overdone; out of fashion and intriguing. Most camp entertainment is pretentious and overdrawn.
3. mod. having to do with homosexual persons and matters. She is so camp, I could scream!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.