Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Alone. Because there's usually so much going on with the kids, I really enjoy spending a quiet Saturday night by myself.
2. Through one's own efforts alone. You can't move that table all by yourself! Here, let me help you. My little girl loves to get dressed by herself, so tutus and cowboy boots have become the norm around here.
1. with no one else present; alone (of two or more people). Must one sit by oneself or may one join another group? One just hates eating by oneself, doesn't one?
2. with the help of no one else. One is expected to do it by oneself. Can one do this by oneself?
Alone, unaccompanied; also, unassisted. For example, She enjoyed being by herself much of the time, or Brian can pick up his toys by himself. [c. a.d. 1000]
1. Without company; alone: went by herself.
2. Without help: wrote the book by myself.