burn through (something)
1. Literally, to destroy something with fire. Wow, that fire burned through every apartment on the fifth floor.
2. To burn something away and create a hole. Use a blow torch to burn through this part of the material.
3. To deplete the entire supply of something. If you burn through all of your talking points in the first five minutes of your speech, how are you going to fill the rest of the time?
1. To penetrate something with flames: The flames were burning through the ceiling. The firefighters came too late and the walls were already burned through.
2. To create some opening by burning: The sparks hit my sweater and burned a hole through the sleeve.
3. To expend something completely; use something up: I burned through all my money in one evening.