bum out(redirected from bums her out)
1. To discourage or make sad. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "bum" or "out" or after "out." Todd just heard that he didn't get the job, and he's really bummed out. I can't watch the news because it always bums me out.
2. To annoy. My parents were really bummed out when they heard from the principal that I had cut class.
3. To do something badly. I guess I bummed out on the interview because I didn't get the job.
4. To have an unpleasant drug-fueled experience. I don't take that drug anymore because I really bummed out the last time.
bum someone out
Sl. to disappoint someone. This menial job really bums me out. The bad movie bummed out the entire audience.
Sl. to have a bad experience. (Originally referred to a bad experience with drugs.) Are you going to bum out again tonight? Man, is he bummed out!
1. Depress, sadden, dispirit, as in He's been really bummed out since his girlfriend moved to California. [Slang; late 1960s]
2. Annoy, irritate, vex, as in That haircut will really bum out his parents. [Slang; c. 1970]
3. Fail badly, as in I got through the midterm, but I bummed out totally on the final exam. This usage is student slang. [Late 1960s]
1. in. to have a bad experience with drugs. (Drugs.) I bummed out on angel dust.
2. in. to have any bad experience. The test was horrible. I bummed out, for sure.
bum someone out
tv. to discourage someone. (see also bummed (out).) The failure of his tires bummed out the race driver.
mod. discouraged; depressed. I feel so bummed. I think I need a nice hot bath.