bullshit(redirected from bullshits it)
1. noun, rude slang Something utterly untrue or wildly exaggerated. Don't give me that bullshit, Tom. I know you've been taking money from the register. Her entire speech was just a load of bullshit from start to finish.
2. noun, rude slang Ridiculous nonsense. Used to express frustration, exasperation, or disgust. You mean we have to come in on Saturday for work, too? God, what a bunch of bullshit! This is bullshit! The teacher marked me down a whole letter grade just because I used a 14-point font on my essay.
3. verb, rude slang To attempt to fool, mislead, or deceive someone. Don't trust a word those salespeople say. They won't hesitate to bullshit you if they think you might buy one of their cars. I could tell Sarah was bullshitting me, but I just let her keep talking.
4. verb, rude slang To speak in a very foolishly boastful or arrogant manner. He loves to bullshit people with wild stories of his various exploits, dressed up for narrative purposes, of course.
5. verb, rude slang To say something utterly ridiculous or nonsensical. Used to express frustration, exasperation, or disgust. They want us to start working 10-hour days? You've got to be bullshitting me!
6. verb, rude slang To improvise something, especially in a brazenly haphazard or impetuous manner. I forgot all my materials for my presentation, but I managed to bullshit my way through it. You could tell he was just bullshitting his entire speech as he went along.
7. interjection, rude slang Used to express utter disbelief for something someone else has said. A: "So then I woke up in the ICU with no recollection of what had happened!" B: "Bullshit! Sarah saw you that night. None of what you just said ever happened." A: "Oh yeah? Well, I just so happen to know some very powerful people in the film industry." B: "Bullshit. The only person you know is your cousin, and she just works as an electrician."
rude slang Someone who is apt to lie and embellish. Oh, you can't trust a word that bullshit artist says.
cut the bullshit
1. rude slang To stop using deceptive or disingenuous language. Often used as an imperative. Cut the bullshit—I know you're lying to me. Look, can we cut the bullshit and call this what it is? I'm being fired, not "reallocated."
2. rude slang To stop fooling around. Often used as an imperative. We'll never get this room painted unless you guys cut the bullshit and start working!
knowledge in, bullshit out
rude A snide phrase referring to a situation or instance in which a person, group, or organization is given reliable information that they proceed to ignore or misunderstand. I swear, it's always knowledge in, bullshit out with these guys. No matter how plainly you demonstrate what they ought to be doing, they never bloody do it! In this line of work, you get used to getting knowledge in, bullshit out from your clients.
money talks and bullshit walks
Money is the most effective means of persuasion and motivation, while empty talk achieves nothing. The phrase was perhaps most famously used by politician Michael "Ozzie" Myers, who was recorded saying it (while accepting a monetary bribe from undercover FBI agents) during the Abscam scandal in 1979. If you want us to help you out, here's some advice—money talks and bullshit walks!
money talks, bullshit walks
Money is the most effective means of persuasion and motivation, while empty talk achieves nothing. The phrase was perhaps most famously used by politician Michael "Ozzie" Myers, who was recorded saying it (while accepting a monetary bribe from undercover FBI agents) during the Abscam scandal in 1979. If you want us to help you out, here's some advice—money talks, bullshit walks!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Also, bull artist. A person who habitually exaggerates, flatters, or talks nonsense. For example, Don't believe a word of it-he's a bullshit artist. Both versions are considered vulgar slang. The first dates from the 1940s, the second from the World War I period.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. n. lies; deception; hype; nonsense. (Also an exclamation: Bullshit! Widely known and used by both sexes. Usually objectionable.) That’s just a lot of bullshit!
2. tv. to deceive someone verbally. (Usually objectionable.) Are you trying to bullshit me?
3. in. to tell lies; to hype and promote. (Usually objectionable.) Can’t you stop bullshitting about how good you are?
4. mod. false; deceptive. (Usually objectionable.) I’m sick of those bullshit ads on TV.
bullshit artistand bullshitter
n. a person expert at lies, deception, and hype. (see also bullshit. Usually objectionable.) What can you expect from a bullshit artist? The truth? Listen to me. Don’t ever try to bullshit a bullshitter!
knowledge in, bullshit outand KIBO
phr. & comp. abb. a phrase expressing distress over stupidity. (Based on FIFO.) My head is just plain KIBO. I get everything confused. College is supposed to be knowledge in, bullshit out.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.