bull(redirected from bull me)
slang A shortening of the rude term "bullshit."
1. noun Something utterly untrue or wildly exaggerated. Short for the rude term "bullshit." Don't give me that bull, Tom. I know you've been taking money from the register. Her entire speech was just a load of bull from start to finish.
2. noun Ridiculous nonsense. Used to express frustration, exasperation, or disgust. You mean we have to come in on Saturday for work, too? God, what a bunch of bull! This is bull! The teacher marked me down a whole letter grade just because I used a 14-point font on my essay.
3. noun, dated A police officer, detective, or security guard. They were caught robbing the bank by the bull on night duty. The bulls in this prison are more dangerous than the inmates.
4. adjective A derogatory and highly offensive term describing a woman, especially a lesbian, who is aggressively masculine in appearance or manner.
5. adjective A reclaimed term used by homosexuals to describe such a woman. Yeah, I've always been something of a bulldyke who's attracted to femmes.
6. noun A man who has sex with a woman in a relationship, with the explicit knowledge and approval of her significant other. My wife and I are in contact with a bull who may be interested in meeting us.
7. verb To attempt to fool, mislead, or deceive someone. Don't trust a word those salespeople say. They won't hesitate to bull you if they think you might buy one of their cars. I could tell Sarah was bulling me, but I just let her keep talking.
8. verb To speak in a very foolishly boastful or arrogant manner. He loves to bull people with wild stories of his various exploits, dressed up for narrative purposes, of course.
9. verb To say something utterly ridiculous or nonsensical. Used to express frustration, exasperation, or disgust. They want us to start working 10-hour days? You've got to be bulling me!
10. interjection Used to express utter disbelief for something someone else has said. A: "So then I woke up in the ICU with no recollection of what had happened!" B: "Bull! Sarah saw you that night. None of what you just said ever happened." A: "Oh yeah? Well, I just so happen to know some very powerful people in the film industry." B: "Bull. The only person you know is your cousin, and she just works as an electrician."
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. nonsense; bullshit. Don’t give me that bull! I won’t buy it.
2. tv. & in. to lie to or deceive someone. Stop bulling me!
3. n. a police officer; a private detective or guard. Here come the bulls. Get out.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) strong as a bull
- (as) useful as tits on a bull
- (as) useless as tits on a bull
- a bull in a china shop
- a cock and bull story
- a cock-and-bull story
- a red flag to a bull
- a red rag to a bull
- Banbury story of a cock and a bull
- be full of bull
- be in the bullpen
- be like a bull in a china shop
- be like a red flag to a bull
- be like a red rag to a bull
- bellow like a (wounded) bull, to
- bull and cow
- bull in a china shop
- bull in a china shop (like a)
- bull pucky
- bull session
- cock and bull story
- cock-and-bull story
- company bull
- cut the bull
- full of bull
- full of crap
- full of hot air
- grab the bull by its horns
- grab the bull by the horns
- hit the bull’s-eye
- hit the bull's-eye
- hit the spot
- hung like a bull
- if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull
- in the bull pen
- in the bullpen
- John Bull
- like a bull at a gate
- like a bull in a china shop
- mess with the bull and you get the horns
- milk the bull
- red flag/rag to a bull, like a
- shoot the breeze
- shoot the bull
- shoot the bull, to
- take the bull by its horns
- take the bull by the horns
- take the bull by the horns, to
- the bull must be taken by the horns
- throw the bull
- throw the bull (around)
- wear the bull's feather