Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun In basketball, the hoop and net. He threw from the three-point line, but the ball bounced off the bucket. You've got to put pressure on their defense and keep driving toward the bucket.
2. noun In basketball, an instance of the ball being put through the hoop and net, especially from the three-point line. That's his 10th bucket of the game. If she can sink this bucket, they'll have a shot at winning the game.
3. noun, slang An old, dilapidated car. I've been driving this bucket around for nearly 15 years. I think it's finally time to upgrade.
4. verb To rain very heavily. Primarily heard in UK. It's been bucketing outside for nearly an hour.
informal A large amount of liquid. It's been raining buckets all morning. It was so hot outside that I was sweating buckets by the time I finished mowing the lawn.
See also: bucket
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. the goal (hoop and net) in basketball. (Sports.) Freddy arced one at the bucket and missed.
2. n. a hoop or basket in basketball. (Sports.) Four buckets in two minutes. Is that a record, or what?
3. n. the buttocks. (see also can.) Sam’s getting a real fat bucket, isn’t he?
4. n. an old car. (From bucket of bolts.) How much did you pay for that old bucket?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a drop in the bucket
- a drop in the ocean
- bolt bucket
- brain bucket
- bucket down
- bucket list
- bucket of bolts
- bucket of steam
- can't carry a tune
- come down in buckets
- couldn't carry a note in a bucket
- couldn't carry a tune in a bucket
- don't amount to a bucket of spit
- drool bucket
- drop in a bucket
- drop in the bucket
- for crying in a bucket
- For crying out loud!
- gash bucket
- go to hell in a bucket
- Hell’s bells and buckets of blood!
- hell's bells and buckets of blood
- kick off
- kick the bucket
- kick the bucket, to
- light bucket
- mercy buckets
- rain cats and dogs
- rust bucket
- scut bucket
- slime bag
- slime bucket
- sweat buckets
- two tears in a bucket(, fuck it)
- weep buckets