brush aside(redirected from brush it aside)
1. To move someone or something out of one's path. A noun or pronoun can be used between "brush" and "aside." The man brushed us aside so that he could board the bus. I brushed aside the curtain and entered the room.
2. To casually, unexpectedly, or brusquely dismiss or ignore someone or something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "brush" and "aside." I know they're young, but you can't just brush their questions aside—they deserve answers. I haven't heard back from that company, so I guess they're brushing aside my complaint.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
brush someone or something aside
1. Lit. to push or shove someone or something out of the way. Don't just brush me aside. I almost fell over. I brushed aside the branch, not realizing it was poison ivy.
2. Fig. to cast someone or something away; to rid oneself of someone or something; to ignore or dismiss someone or something. You must not brush this matter aside. The clerk brushed aside the old man and moved on to the next person in line.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Disregard, ignore, as in The teacher brushed aside our questions.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To push or wave something or someone out of the way: I brushed aside the clutter and put my books on the desk. The police brushed the people aside to make way for the president.
2. To refuse to listen to someone or something; ignore someone or something: I continued to complain, but they brushed aside my protests. Whenever people try to bother me at a party, I just brush them aside.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.