browse(redirected from browsing)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
browse on (something)
To nibble or graze on plants, as of an animal. What can I do to keep animals from browsing on my plants?
To casually or quickly look over something. Just browse over the pamphlet—you don't have to read it word for word.
browse among (something)
1. To nibble or graze on plants, as of an animal. What can I do to keep animals from browsing among my plants?
2. To consider all of the options presented, often of reading material. Don't worry about me, I'll just browse among the magazines while I'm waiting.
1. To eat small amounts of food over a period of time, usually instead of full meals. I've been grazing all day, so I'm not very hungry right now.
2. To eat a variety of foods in small quantities at one time, instead of a full meal. I'm not too hungry, I think I'll just graze at the party.
3. To touch or scrape one without causing significant injury. Often said of gunshot wounds. You're so lucky the bullet only grazed your shoulder—a few inches lower, and you would have been in big trouble.
browse among something
1. [for an animal] to wander about among plants and trees, selecting and eating some. The deer were browsing among the vegetables in my garden. The cows were browsing among the grasses in the field.
2. [for someone] to look at or survey different items of reading material. I browsed among the books on the rack until I found what I wanted. I browsed among the books for something suitable.
browse on something
[for an animal] to feed on some kind of plant material. The deer browsed on the tender shoots in my garden. The rabbit browsed on my carrots.
browse over somethingand browse through something
[for someone] to glance through written or printed material quickly or curiously. Why don't you browse over this and call me about it in the morning? I want to browse through this magazine quickly. When it has been browsed through by everyone, throw it away.
in. to eat a bit of everything at parties. We will just graze on party snacks rather than eat a full meal. I think I’ll just browse here and skip going out to dinner.