Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
breathe (something) to (someone)
To share information, often that which is supposed to be kept secret. Often used in the negative to encourage silence. And if you breathe a word of this to the cops, we'll come after you. I was told not to breathe news of this to anyone, but I knew I had to tell someone about such serious allegations.
To feel calm or relieved because a stressful situation has ended. With your thesis defense finished, you can finally breathe easy! All week, I was worried about having to give that presentation, so I can breathe easy again now that it's done!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
breathe something (of something) (to someone)
to tell something to someone. (Usually in the negative.) Don't breathe a word of this to anyone! I won't breathe a word!
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
To be relaxed or relieved, especially after a period of tension.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- able to breathe (easy/easily/freely) again
- able to breathe again
- as I live and breathe
- As I live and breathe!
- breathe (new) life into (someone or something)
- breathe (one's) last (breath)
- breathe (something) to (someone)
- breathe (up)on (someone or something)
- breathe a sigh of relief
- breathe a word
- breathe again
- breathe down (one's) neck
- breathe down neck
- breathe down somebody's neck
- breathe down someone's neck
- breathe easily
- breathe easy
- breathe fire
- breathe freely
- breathe in
- breathe into
- breathe into (something)
- breathe last
- breathe life into
- breathe life into something
- breathe on
- breathe one's last
- breathe out
- breathe your last
- eat, breathe, and sleep (something)
- hardly have time to breathe
- I don't have time to breathe
- I don't have time to catch my breath
- live and breathe (something)
- live and breathe something
- not breathe a word
- not breathe a word (of something)
- not breathe a word of (something)
- scarcely have time to breathe
- won't breathe a word