break with (something or someone)(redirected from break with her)
break with (something or someone)
1. To move away or separate from someone or something. I'm starting to break with the religious tradition I was raised in. I'm from a family of doctors, so I really broke with tradition when I went to art school!
2. To cease communicating with a person or group. Ultimately, she had to break with her family and their dysfunctional ways in order to be healthy.
1. Separate from, sever relations with. For example, On this issue the prime minister was forced to break with his cabinet. [Late 1500s] Also see break off, def. 2 and 3.
2. Depart from, reject, as in The couple broke with tradition and decided to write their own marriage vows. [Late 1800s]
1. To discontinue something that has been ongoing or continuous: This year we broke with tradition and did not get a pumpkin for Halloween. The new farming technology has forced the farmers to break with their old methods.
2. To stop communicating with someone, especially because of distance or hostility: The brothers broke with the rest of the family when they moved out of town. I broke with my colleagues for years after our big argument.