brass(redirected from brasses)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to brasses: horse brasses
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, slang High-ranking officers or officials, especially in the military. The brass came in and assumed command of the whole operation.
2. noun, informal Bold, brazen, or impudent self-confidence. I can't believe he had the brass to demand a raise, right there in the middle of the meeting!
3. noun, slang Money. Primarily heard in UK. He just flashed a little brass, and the security guard let us through.
4. noun, slang A prostitute. From Cockney rhyming slang, in which "brass" is a shortening of "brass flute," "brass door," "brass dart," or "brass nail," which rhyme with "prostitute," "whore," "tart," and "tail," respectively. Primarily heard in UK. It's no surprise to me that the only woman a scumbag like him can get is a brass.
Irritated, disgruntled, or exasperated. Primarily heard in UK. John's just a bit brassed with us at the moment, so let's leave him alone.
See also: brass
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. high-ranking military or civilian officers. (see also top brass.) We’ll see what the brass has to say first.
See brassed off
See also: brass
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a brass farthing
- a brass hat
- as bold as brass
- be not worth a brass farthing
- big brass
- bold as brass
- brass balls
- brass ceiling
- brass farthing
- brass hat
- brass monkey
- brass monkey weather
- brass monkeys
- brass neck
- brass neck/nerve
- brass off
- brass ring
- brass someone off
- brass tacks
- brassed off
- cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey
- double in brass
- down to brass tacks
- get down to brass tacks
- get down to brass tacks, to/let's
- have the (brass) face to (do something)
- have the (brass) neck to (do something)
- have the brass (neck) to (do something)
- it's brass monkeys outside
- not a brass farthing
- not worth a brass farthing
- part brass rags with
- part brass rags with (one)
- Pull the other one(, it's got bells on)!
- the brass ring
- the top brass
- top brass
- top brass, the
- where there's muck there's brass
- where there's muck, there's brass
- with (brass) knobs on