Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. verb To exchange punches with an opponent. I love to box and have been working on my right hook this week.
2. noun, slang A coffin. It was a bad car accident, but no one ended up in a box, thank goodness.
3. noun A very large portable radio or boom-box. It can also be called a "ghetto box." There are so many kids in the neighborhood with boxes that I can barely hear myself think!
4. noun A record player. My parents love playing their old records on the box.
5. noun An accordion. Can also be called a "squeeze box." Most polka music incorporates a box.
6. noun, rude slang The female genitals. He just seems so lecherous—I bet he's after your box.
7. noun, rude slang The male genitals, typically when covered by clothing. Yeah, I noticed his box—how could you miss it?
slang Dead. We did everything we could, but the patient boxed on the table during surgery.
1. Sl. intoxicated. I am way boxed, and I feel sick. She got boxed up on gin.
2. Sl. in jail. I committed the crime, and I was boxed for a long time for it. Pat was boxed up for two days till we got bond money.
See boxed up
mod. dead; died. (The box is possibly a coffin.) He’s boxed. There’s nothing that can be done.