Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a bottomless pit
1. A person who is always hungry. Her teenage son was like a bottomless pit as he devoured every last bit of food in the house.
2. A situation that requires a seemingly endless amount of money or resources. With all the money and time we've sunk into repairs for the roof, windows, and foundation, this house has become a bottomless pit.
3. The cause or source of something, typically something difficult or problematic. Everything is going wrong lately, like challenges are coming from a bottomless pit or something.
a bottomless ˈpit (of something)a thing or situation which seems to have no limits or seems never to end: There isn’t a bottomless pit of money for public spending. ♢ the bottomless pit of his sorrow
1. n. a very hungry person. The guy is a bottomless pit. There isn’t enough food in town to fill him up.
2. n. an endless source of something, usually something troublesome. Our problems come from a bottomless pit. There is just no end to them.